Announcing the Founding of the Edgecross Consortium Going beyond the framework of companies and industries, based on edge computing technology and aiming to create new added value
November 6, 2017
Note that the official language of this release is Japanese. In the event of a discrepancy between the Japanese and the English, the content and expressions of the Japanese version shall take precedence.
OMRON Corporation (HQ: Shimogyo-Ku, Kyoto. CEO: Yoshihito Yamada) reached an agreement to establish the Edgecross Consortium (the "Consortium") with five other companies--Advantech Co., Ltd., NEC Corporation, IBM Japan, Ltd., Oracle Corporation Japan, and Mitsubishi Electric Corporation. The Consortium will go beyond the basic framework of companies and industries aiming to create new added value based on edge computing. In this way, it will contribute to the promotion of IoT, for which demand is increasing on a global scale, as well as Society 5.0,*1 proposed by the Japanese government, and activities of Connected Industries,*2 which tie in to Society 5.0.
Initial activities of the Consortium will begin with the development of specifications for the Edgecross open software platform and promoting its dissemination for edge computing from Japan to harmonize with FA*3 and IT. This initial work will include providing avenues for supporting companies to cooperate and collaborate beyond the framework of companies and industries. The Consortium will aim to expand applications for various industries in addition to initiating activities in the global arena in the future.
The date of founding is scheduled for November 29, 2017, and an exhibition is planned at the System Control Fair 2017,*4 to be held on the same day.
*1: Series of initiatives aimed at sharing and realizing a "super smart society" as a future vision where cyberspace and physical space (the real world) are merged at a high standard as indicated by the Cabinet Office in the 5th Science and Technology Basic Plan.
*2: Vision (concept) that Japanese industries should aim for, as announced by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry in March 2017
*3: Factory automation
*4: A general exhibition of state-of-the-art technology for automation and measurement; to be held at Tokyo Big Sight Nov. 29 (Wed) - Dec. 1 (Fri).
|Scheduled date of founding||November 29th, 2017|
|Purpose||Dissemination and promotion of Edgecross|
|Organization and roles||Advisors||Support promotion activities such as seminars, advice to WG etc.|
|Board||Approval of specifications for Edgecross, operation strategy and activities, selection of Advisor/WG members, establishment/dissolution of WG, modification of regulations, etc.|
|Subcommittees||Technical WG||Establishment of specifications for Edgecross, and conformance test etc.|
|Marketing WG||Planning for various promotions (such as exhibitions and seminars)|
|Management Office||Administration of Consortium|
|Advisor||Dr. Fumihiko Kimura, Professor Emeritus, The University of Tokyo|
|Board Companies (6 companies)
*Japanese syllabary order
|Advantech Co., Ltd., OMRON Corporation, NEC Corporation, IBM Japan, Ltd., Oracle Corporation Japan, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation|
|Member||Companies (corporations), academic institutions (universities, research institutes), related organizations|
Overview of Edgecross
An open software platform of edge computing area from Japan built by consortium members beyond the boundaries of companies and industries to realize collaboration with FA and IT
- Real-time diagnosis and feedback
- Realizing real-time feedback to the production site by analyzing and diagnosing the data at location close to the production sites
- Creating models from production sites
- Data can be easily utilized by people or by applications by layering and abstracting the Big data of the production sites
- Utilization of various applications in the edge computing area
- IT applications can be easily applied to FA application
- Applications may be selected from an extensive lineup depending on the situation
- System construction completed in the edge computing area are available
- Collecting all types of data at the production site
- Enable data collection from all equipment and devices regardless of vendor or network
- Smooth coordination with FA and IT systems
- Realizing supply chain and engineering chain optimization by seamless data coordination with IT systems including the cloud
- Operates on industrial PCs
- Mountable on various manufacturer's industrial PCs (IPCs)
Comments from the underwriting companies
- Yutaka Miyanaga, Executive Vice President, OMRON Corporation, Company President, Industrial Automation Company
- We support the purpose of the establishment of the consortium. We will leverage our broad lineup of FA equipment and control technology that work with applications. We will also promote the introduction of IoT for machines, devices, and equipment at the manufacturing site, and lead Edgecross together with each of the supporting companies to contribute to the development of Japan's manufacturing industry.
- Mike Koike, Advantech Co., Ltd. President/Country Head, Japan Region
- Advantech strongly supports the purpose of the establishment of the consortium. Our company initiates global deployment of the Edge Intelligent Server, the heart of FA-IT, and will offer WISE-PaaS through Edgecross and make strong contributions for shaping Connected Industries.
- Yutaka Matsushita, Senior Vice President, NEC Corporation
- We are excited to be supporting the establishment of the Edgecross Consortium and its efforts to harmonize FA and IT. NEC will leverage the experience and knowhow it has gained from innovations related to the "NEC Industrial IoT" initiative in order to contribute to the ongoing development of this consortium.
- Tatsuya Matsunaga, VP, Value Creation, Business Development, IBM Japan, Ltd
- I strongly support the purpose of establishing this consortium to coordinate FA and IT from Japan. We will leverage the global knowledge and skills that IBM has and its various in the Watson IoT area while respecting the purpose of Edgecross and contributing to the development of this Consortium.
- Shinji Taketsume, Operating Officer, Cloud Solution Sales, Oracle Corporation Japan
- Oracle Japan is very honored to become a founding member of this Consortium. Oracle offers its wide-range and integrated Oracle Cloud throughout the globe and has many achievements in the area of IoT as well. We will contribute in spreading Edgecross by offering Oracle Cloud.
- Yoshikazu Miyata, Managing Executive Officer and Executive Officer in Charge of FA Systems, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- We strongly support the purpose of the establishment of the consortium. We will lead this consortium by proposing the concept of the FA-IT open platform that we announced in March 2017 as an element for developing the Edgecross software platform.
|November 29 - December 1, 2017||Exhibition at System Control Fair 2017|
|January 17 - 19, 2018||Exhibition at Smart Factory EXPO (venue: Tokyo Big Sight)|
|Spring 2018||Launch of Edgecross|
|Start of marketplace operations|
Overview of exhibition at System Control Fair
Date: November 29, 2017 (Wed) – December 1, 2017 (Fri)
Venue: Tokyo Big Sight (booth number: 1-43)
Description: Introduction to the Consortium, exhibit of Edgecross and products planned to be compatible (products from supporting companies)
Information related to trademark
"Edgecross" is currently in the process of applying for trademark registration. *Oracle and Java are registered trademarks for Oracle Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in the United States and in other countries.
- Contact (media):
- Corporate Communications Department