OMRON VENTURES Invests in Vision Sensor Development Company
June 8, 2015
OMRON VENTURES Co., Ltd. (Chief Executive Officer: Naoshi Ozawa) announced that it has invested in 3D MEDiA Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Kusatsu, Shiga; Chief Executive Officer: Gang Xu) (hereinafter referred to as "3D MEDiA"). 3D MEDiA possesses 3D image recognition technology (hereinafter referred to as "vision sensor technology").
Founded by a professor at Ritsumeikan University, 3D MEDiA is a venture firm engaged in research and development of the "eye" and "brain" of industrial robots, as well as sales of related devices and systems. Conventionally, robots were only able to move in programmed patterns. The vision sensor technology developed by 3D MEDiA added the 3D vision capability of the "eye" and the control function of the "brain" to industrial robots. This enabled automatic 3D measurement and recognition of randomly piled workpieces for the first time in the world.
Through funding for 3D MEDiA, OMRON VENTURES will support the development of its technology, while effectively combining 3D MEDiA's technology with OMRON's core sensing and control technologies. This will help accelerate the realization of harmonious interaction between people and machines as the company seeks to create further innovation in the industrial field.
By drawing on OMRON's technological strengths in the area of sensing and control, and through funding for startup ventures, OMRON VENTURES is devoted to nurturing venture firms intended to create new added value. Moreover, OMRON VENTURES will proactively work in partnerships with promising companies, as the company strives to help resolve social challenges around the world.
About OMRON VENTURES Co., Ltd.
- Name: OMRON VENTURES Co., Ltd.
- Address: OMRON Corporation headquarters, Shiokoji Horikawa, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto 600-8530 Japan
- Established: July 1, 2014
- Capital ownership: 100% owned by OMRON Corporation
- Business lines: Investing in venture companies, business development, and business incubation
- Target segments: Sensing technologies for security & safety purposes, life sciences, healthcare, biotechnology, IoT, environmental energy, education, agriculture
- Website: https://www.omron.com/ventures/
About OMRON Corporation
OMRON Corporation is a global leader in the field of automation based on its core technology of sensing and control. OMRON's business fields cover a broad spectrum, ranging from industrial automation and electronic components to automotive electronic components, social infrastructure systems, healthcare, and environmental solutions. Established in 1933, OMRON has about 39,000 employees worldwide, working to provide products and services in more than 110 countries and regions. In the field of industrial automation, OMRON supports manufacturing innovation by providing advanced automation technologies and products, as well as through extensive customer support, in order to help create a better society. For more information, visit OMRON's website at: https://www.omron.com/
Corporate Data of 3D MEDiA Co., Ltd.
- Company Name: 3D MEDiA Co., Ltd.
- CEO: Gang Xu
- Location: 1-15-5, Noji, Kusatsu, Shiga, Japan
- Capital: 165.80 million yen
- Established: December 20, 2000
- Business lines: Development, marketing, and sales of devices that function as the "eye" and "brain" of industrial robots
- Press inquiries
- Ayumi Chishiro
Corporate Communications Department