OMRON to release "best of breed" MEMS absolute pressure sensor capable of highly accurate measurement and well suited for Healthcare and wearable devices
June 28, 2013
Kyoto, Japan -- OMRON Corporation (TOKYO: 6645; ADR: OMRNY) will release an absolute pressure sensor1 capable of accurately detecting 50cm altitudinal variations on July 29th 2013.
By fully exploiting the latest MEMS technology, one of OMRON's core competencies, the company has developed a subminiature absolute pressure meter that is among the world's most accurate and power efficient.
The sensor's high accuracy makes it well-suited for use in activity monitors2 for healthcare and wearable devices monitoring precise altitudinal variation. The sensor's power efficiency also makes it well-suited for use in battery-operated applications.
Through the integration of CMOS circuits and MEMS sensors, OMRON has been able to create an absolute pressure sensor measuring only 3.8x3.8x0.92mm, making it suitable for installation in small mobile devices and other compact hardware.
Installing the pressure sensors in activity monitors will make it possible to calculate more accurate calories taking into account the altitudinal variation involved in one's daily activities and exercise such as climbing up and down stairs or hills, etc.
The sensor's power efficiency also makes it possible to extend battery life of equipments such as activity monitors.
Installing the pressure sensors in fitness devices, smart watches and elderly care equipments makes it possible to identify human actions such as stand up, sit down, lie down and drop down by precise measurement of the altitudinal variation.
Installing the sensors in navigation systems will make it possible to use indoor in addition to more accurate positioning by backing up GPS.
The sensors are also suited for weather monitoring equipments, smart phones and tablets in which pressure sensors are now in widespread use.
OMRON will continue to contribute society with leading edge MEMS technology.
OMRON will be exhibiting its new MEMS absolute pressure sensor at the nanomicro biz exhibition at Tokyo Big Sight from July 3 (Wed) to July 5 (Fri).
Please visit the following link for further product details https://www.omron.com/ecb/
- Absolute pressure sensors measure air pressure relative to a vacuum.
- Activity monitors are pedometers that not only measure the number of steps taken when walking or running but also the intensity of bodily movement during other energy-burning activities such as housework.
- Able to detect the relative difference of approximately 6Pa in air pressure that exists between 50cm variations in altitude.
- High resolution of 0.06Pa (5mm equivalent)
- Subminiature dimensions (3.8x3.8x0.92mm).
- Thanks to integration of CMOS circuitry and MEMS sensors, chip size is only 1.9x1.9x0.5mm.
- Wide detection range of 300 to 1100hPa.
- Low current consumption of 0.5 to 9.0uA: suitable for use in battery-operated devices (current consumption levels are dependent on measurement conditions and operating modes).
- A built-in temperature sensor can be used to adjust measurements to compensate for air pressure fluctuations that are due to changes in air temperature.
- I²C output, serial communications compatible.
Thanks to the semiconductor circuit design technologies, CMOS process technologies, and MEMS technologies that OMRON has cultivated over many years, the company has also been able to integrate pressure sensors, analogue amplifier circuits, digital processing circuits, non-volatile memory, etc. on single chips.
The company has also been able to reduce chip size, increase chip functionality, and enhance chip noise immunity, and through the use of MEMS bonding technology, they have been able to create a large vacuum chamber inside the body of the sensor chip to maximize the sensor's input dynamic range, and thereby increase the sensor's sensitivity.
|Pressure Measurement Range||30kPa - 110kPa|
|Absolute Pressure Accuracy||Typ100Pa|
|Relative Pressure Accuracy||±6Pa|
|Absolute Temperature Accuracy||±2°C|
|Average Current||0.3 - 9uA|
OMRON Yasu Plant
Headquartered in Kyoto, Japan, OMRON Corporation is a global leader in the field of automation. Established in 1933, and headed by President Yoshihito Yamada, OMRON has more than 36,000 employees in over 35 countries working to provide products and services to customers in a variety of fields including industrial automation, electronic components, social systems, healthcare, and the environment. The company has regional head offices in Singapore (Asia Pacific), Beijing (Greater China), Amsterdam (Europe, Africa, and the Middle East), Chicago (the Americas), Gurgaon (India), and Sao Paulo (Brazil).
For more information, visit OMRON's website at https://www.omron.com/
- Product Inquiries
- OMRON Corporation
Haruhiko Taniguchi, +81-77-588-9200
Micro Devices Division