OMRON’s Future Vision Achieving Harmony Between Humans and Machines
The Name FORPHEUS Comes From
“Future OMRON Robotics technology for Exploring Possibility of Harmonized aUtomation with Sinic theoretics”.
A coined term embodying OMRON’s robot technologies based on its unique future prediction theory “SINIC theoretics”.
It is also a combination of “For” and “ORPHEUS (a bard in Greek mythology as a symbol of human creativity)”, representing OMRON’s attitude of bringing out human creativity and possibility.
Relationship Between Human
OMRON believes that the relationship between humans and machines
evolves over time, in three stages.
The 1st stage is one of “replacement” by machines of tasks that need not be done by human. The OMRON history mirrors this history, as we introduced factory automation, automated ticket gates, and other inventions.
The 2nd stage is “collaboration” between humans and machines, which is currently progressing in the world. An example of this is a production line where humans and robots work together, each performing the most suitable task to increase productivity.
And now, the relationship is reaching to the 3rd stage, “harmony” between humans and machines, that extends human capabilities. As machines become a more integral part of society, humans will enjoy machine support in a number of new and different ways that extend the potential of human capabilities. As with FORPHEUS, machines will emerge in every domain that can bring out human capabilities and possibilities.
FORPHEUS embodies the relationship that will exist between humans and machines in the future.
Every year, since 2013, a team of young engineers is assembled to develop and utilize state-of-the-art technology that keeps this table tennis robot tutor evolving.
- Visualizing empathy and interaction between team members
- FORPHEUS can now assess the level of empathy and interaction between the team members by analyzing the players’ motions and inferred emotions, thus improving performance as a team.
Capturing players’ expressions, heart rates, blinks,and movements simultaneously and in real time with six cameras, FORPHEUS analyzes the degree of synchronicity in behaviors and emotions between players to sense their internal empathy and kinetic coordination.
- A rally that enhances the team’s performance
- To further enhance visualized empathy and interaction between players, FORPHEUS uses AI to determine the optimal pattern in which to deliver returns.
To elevate empathy and interaction between players, FORPHEUS determines the optimal return pattern, including speed, tempo, and course of returns during a rally. To realize the calculated pattern, OMRON has fitted this intelligent robot with superlative control technologies to increase the accuracy of returns and the range of motion.
- Self-monitoring of mechanical conditions
- Real time monitoring of camera and motor performance Sensing blemishes on the rubber surface of its racket, FORPHEUS now diagnoses itself
By synchronizing the robot’s motions and camera capture, FORPHEUS uses camera images to sense the accuracy of returns and racket surface conditions. Performance of each part is auto-diagnosed based on changes in the images, changes which let FORPHEUS know which parts need adjusting - if any.
- Autonomous control for consistent return accuracy
- The latest FORPHEUS model features autonomous adjustment, which maintains return accuracy during a rally by adjusting returns according to changes in rubber surface conditions.
When it senses any divergence from a target return position, due to a blemish or other change to the condition of the racket’s rubber surface, FORPHEUS controls the height and angle of the racket when it delivers returns to automatically maintain a high return accuracy.
A Big Step Towards the Future Where Machines Can Unlock Human PotentialRelated Technical Papers
How close can a robot approach the behavior of a human?Related Technical Papers
We want more people to experience technology that helps them grow while having fun
- “SINIC theoretics” is
- an epochal future prediction theory proposed by Kazuma Tateisi, the founder of OMRON, that accurately predicted social scenarios till the first half of the 21st century such as an advent of an information society. Since its announcement in 1970, it has been a compass of OMRON’s management and the concept of FORPHEUS symbolizing the future man-machine relationship is invented by the theoretics.
SINIC stands for “Seed-Innovation to Need-Impetus Cyclic Evolution”. “SINIC theoretics” assumes a circular relationship among “science”, “technology”, and “society” which mutually affect. A new science generates a new technology that gives an impact on a society and works as an engine to change the society. And a social need urges development of a new technology that generates a new science. They affect one another, contributing to a future society. That’s what the theoretics says. It defines a society in the 1st half of 21st century as an “autonomous society” in an ideal harmony of mankind and machines, attaching importance to human life style and self-realization, instead of pursuit of productivity and efficiency. It predicts that mankind then will place much value on more essential desires including a healthy and happy long life as well as comfortable living.