Certification for the IEC 62443-4-1 International Standard for Industrial Control System Security
- May 22, 2023
OMRON Corporation (Headquarters: Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto; Executive Officer, President and CEO: Junta Tsujinaga) is pleased to announce that in March 2023, Controller Division, Product Business Division HQ. and Advanced Solution Business Division HQ.1 of its Industrial Automation Company obtained third-party certification for the IEC 62443-4-1 international standard, which defines process and organizational requirements for the development of secure control components to be used in industrial automation and control systems.
In recent years, there have been accelerated efforts to utilize the on-site data from manufacturing for the purpose of improving productivity and quality in a factory. As the visualization of the manufacturing floor has advanced, there has also been an increase in the importance of hedging against risks such as information leaks and production stoppages due to cyberattacks. In addition, as various devices used on the manufacturing floor are now connected to a network, security measures are now required for the production lines and production facilities in a manufacturing factory. Against this backdrop, as information technology advances globally, various countries are developing legal requirements for security measures, including with the EU’s Cyber Resilience Act and NIS2 Directive2, and China’s Cyber Security Law. In addition, industry associations are creating standards for security measures in the manufacturing industry, such as the ISO/SAE 2143433 and SEMI E187/1884. The IEC 62443-4-1 standard for which certification was acquired defines the requirements necessary for the development of secure control equipment and services throughout the product life cycle (planning, development, production, sales and maintenance). OMRON will contribute to the realization of high information security performance for customer factories and production equipment through the development and provision of highly secure controller products and software in accordance with the development processes of IEC 62443-4-1. We will continue to work on product and service development in a manner that enables our customers to use the products and services with confidence.
We will keep in mind OMRON’s long-term vision of "Enriching the Future for People, Industries and the Globe by Innovative Automation" as we strive for Monozukuri innovation under our concept of advanced value generation. Controller Division provides products such as NJ/NX series of machine automation controllers and NY series of industrial PC platforms, and Advanced Solution Business Division HQ. provides "i-BELT" on-site data utilization service. Going forward, we will continue to develop products and services with enhanced security functions that will promote stable factory operations and the visualization of work sites, to contribute to the resolution of manufacturing site issues that are emerging globally.
- 1. Advanced Solution Business Division HQ. is a department that creates and promotes services such as i-BELT service for the utilization of on-site data. It provides services that incorporate i-BELT Data Management Platform (i-DMP) software, which is an On-site Data Utilization Platform to collect, convert, store, and visualize on-site data from manufacturing.
- 2. The Network and Information Security 2 Directive. An EU directive defining cybersecurity risk management measures and reporting requirements in the EU for all the sectors covered, including for energy, transport, health and digital infrastructure.
- 3. An international standard that defines cybersecurity requirements in the automotive industry for the entire life cycle of automobiles, from their planning, design and production to their maintenance and disposal.
- 4. Industry standards that define cybersecurity requirements in the semiconductor industry for semiconductor equipment and systems. SEMI E187 defines cybersecurity specifications for fab equipment and E188 defines specifications for the incorporation of malware-free equipment.
Machine automation controllers
On-site data utilization service i-BELT
For Europe area: https://industrial.omron.eu/en/services-support/i-belt-data-services/
For Asia Pacific area: https://www.omron-ap.com/service-support/i-belt-data-services/
For China: https://www.fa.omron.com.cn/solution/i-belt/
OMRON is advancing a unique “innovative-Automation” concept, creating new types of automation that drive the manufacturing revolution forward at the same time as realizing coexistence with the global environment and a sense of purpose for all workers, as well as contributing to the growth of sustainable industries.
As we look to the future of manufacturing, OMRON will pursue novel approaches to productivity in the form of “Autonomation beyond human abilities” and “Advanced collaboration between people and machines,” underpinned by “Digital engineering transformation” in order to enrich the future for people, industries and the globe by innovative-Automation.
About OMRON Corporation
As a leading automation company with its original "Sensing & Control + Think" technology at its core, OMRON Corporation develops business in a wide variety of areas such as control equipment, healthcare, social systems and electronic components. Founded in 1933, OMRON currently has around 30,000 employees worldwide and provides products and services in approximately 120 countries and regions. For more information, visit https://www.omron.com/global/en/
- Contact for press inquiries regarding this matter
Brand Communications Department
Global Investor & Brand Communications HQ
- Contact for business inquiries/Contact for general customer inquiries
- Controller Product Management Group
Controller Div., Product Business Division HQ
Industrial Automation Company
Tel: +81-75-344- 7173
- Advanced Solution Business Division HQ
Industrial Automation Company